Tuesday 5 February 2013

Toys toys toys... My rough buying guide...

Christmas has been and gone a month now so I thought I would do a little break down of the best bits of Euna's haul. Now before I begin I cannot stress enough how strongly I felt about not spoiling Euna and WE didn't. No. We were very restrained. A stocking full of small items and her trike. Generous without going overboard. Giving good thoughtful gifts but without the gifts overtaking the other themes of the season.
Then THE ENTIRE WORLD BOUGHT HER PRESENTS AND SHOT ALL OUR GOOD INTENTIONS TO *&%$! I console us with the thoughts that firstly she's too young to be truly spoilt and secondly who am I to take away her Auntie's, Uncle's and grandparent's first opportunity for a thorough spoiling? 

So what did she get? Well... Everything. But here are a few highlights from her haul that also works as a buying guide for babies of sorts...

1) Books. No one, at any age, can own enough books. No child can be spoilt with books. Never has it been uttered that little Emily was ruined by too many books. Books make memories. Books build imaginations. Books look nice on your shelves. Books are good. No one can go wrong buying books.
 2) Small toys. Few people (especially enthusiastic family members) think to buy small toys. Remember babies are small, they need small toys. Hand held toys. Toys for nappy bags, pram handles and car seat laps. Never underestimate how appreciated a small toy is.
 4) Creative toys. I can not WAIT to build up a family arts and crafts cupboard of paints, glues, papers and pipe cleaners. Until we're older for that I am loving musical instruments. This £2.99 tambourine was an excellent stocking filler. (Not to mention a fail safe attention grabber for photo opportunities.)
 5) Toys for tomorrow. if you know they're going get too much whether you like it or not it's always wonderful when someone thinks ahead. This (beautiful) rocking horse is much too big for Euna at the moment but in 6 months (when Christmas is another WHOLE 6 months away it will be perfect).
 6) Toys that help her develop. (My husband would insert a sarcastic joke about "edutainment" here.) But it is true. Babies and kids learn best through play.
 7) Toys that promote togetherness. Books, creative gifts and games. These toys are as much a gift for me. When I exhaust my nursery rhyme and pat-a-cake repertoire a toy that gives me something to play with her is an awesome tool for us spending better time together.

Then all of a sudden, just as I get the last toy tucked away and all of her drawers are bursting at the seems... Her birthday is merely weeks away and I need to think about what else could she possibly need?

She needs nothing. So for her birthday I plan to get my craft on and MAKE her something... Watch this space, I am Pintrest ahoy!

4 comments:

  1. She's so cute and it looks like she is having a blast with her toys!!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thoughts on this topic. We are quite minimalist when it comes to toys for our 7-month-old. And since he's happy playing with the zippers on my boots, I think we're doing the right thing so far :)) Amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thаnks foг the maгvеlouѕ posting!
    Ӏ seгiously enjoyed reаdіng it,
    you might be a gгeat author. Ι will гemember tο bookmагκ your blog аnd will come back verу soon.
    I wаnt tο encouгage you to continue yοur grеat writing,
    have a nice day!

    Here is my blog :: www.comsf.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, superb weblog structure! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make running a blog look easy. The entire
    glance of your web site is magnificent, as neatly as the content!


    my webpage ... belrim Silver

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate, read and reply to all comments, I would LOVE to hear what you think today...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...